Singapore Botanic Gardens

Hello everyone! I decided to participate in Challenge #2 on Paige Taylor Evans new Facebook group called Happy Scrappy Place and today I'm sharing my finished project! The challenge was to create a never before seen layout using flowers made with her Pink Paislee collections and/or cut files. I used my March kits from Clique Kits called Malama that featured Paige's newest collection Pick-Me-Up and a combination of flower cut files from Clique Kits and Paige's Etsy shop. The pink flower in my project is an exclusive Clique Kits cut file that was designed for March's kit and both the purple and yellow flowers are called Flower Cluster which I purchased on Etsy in Paige's shop.

For this layout I was inspired by string art where you hammer nails into wood to create a shape and then use various types of thread to randomly loop around the nails and fill in you shape. I started by cutting out the flowers with my Cricut then I traced the shapes on a piece of white card stock. I then pierced holes in between the drawn lines to act as my "nails". I then used embroidery thread to fill up the petals of each flower by stringing the thread through each of the holes randomly as you would for string art. I used the pink embroidery thread from the March kit on the pink flower and then used some colors from my stash for the other two flowers. For the centers of each flower, I used the enamel dots, the gold foiled cork hearts, and some of the puffy stickers from the March kit to fill in the space. I then used Distress Oxides to color the actual flower die cuts before using my ATG to adhere them to the base of the flowers that I had stitched through.

I decided to use the round laser cut die cut from the March kit to house my photo. I again used Distress Oxides to color the outer rim of the die cut that had all of the foliage detail and then used the teal embroidery thread from the March kit to do a chain stitch around the circle before using an Exact knife to cut out the center. I then glued the die cut to my photo and trimmed the excess.

For the background, I used some Deco Art Metallic Paint in Rose Gold and some texture paste mixed together to spread through a star stencil (Echo Park - Once Upon a Time). I tried to spread the stars out in the open spaces between my flowers to give a little more interest to the background rather than it just being white card stock.

I then created a grass cut file from an image I found online and cut it from one of the papers from the March Kit/Pick-Me-Up collection. But before adhering it, I used the charcoal embroidery thread to chain stitch stems from each flower.

As a finishing touch, I used the three moths from the Pick-Me-Up rub-ons and a bunch of fussy cut moths from one of the 6x6 papers from the collection/kit to randomly spread them all around the page before using the white embroidery thread from the March kit to stitch trails behind each moth.

I hope you enjoyed this layout, I sure enjoyed making it. For more details, check out my process video on my brand new YouTube channel. And thank you to Paige for hosting this challenge to get my creative juices flowing!

Until next time,


Popular Posts