Flamingos in Umbrellas


Hello everyone! Today I’m showing my layout made for the Clique Kits February pep rally that started yesterday! I’m a little late to the party but better late than never! The March 2018 kit Malama was released on the Clique Kits website and all of their social media sites yesterday so be sure to check them out. The kits feature Paige Evans’ new line Pick Me Up and they are jam packed with great products! My layout today is using the February 2018 kit called Atacama. I used mostly the main kit which features Crate Paper’s Good Vibes collection.



Usually when starting a layout, I make the background first then find a photo I want to use on the layout however this time I started with my photo and let my design come from that. My family went to the 2016 Rose Bowl game in Pasadena, CA and got a chance to see the Rose Bowl Parade. All of the floats are made from flowers which is just amazing but one of my favorites was a family of flamingos all sitting in cute umbrellas! As soon as I saw the fun bright colors in the Good Vibes collection, I knew I wanted to use it to document this picture.




I started out by using the picture of the baby flamingo to look at while I sketched the shape of the umbrella and flamingo to the size I wanted. Then I cut out the shape, traced it on the patterned paper I wanted and then glued all of the pieces back together on a piece of inexpensive white card stock. I knew I wanted to stitch around each object and the white cardstock helps make the shape much sturdier. Once all glued and stitched, I cut the final shape of the bird and umbrella out and was ready to glue it on my page!



The rest of the layout just kind of fell into place. Towards the end of my embellishing I had a lot of white space at the top of the page and it just felt empty. I liked all the pops of black on the lower half of the page and felt that the top needed some too. So I took the super cute black washi tape from Fancy Pants included in the main kit and just cut some simple banner shapes and stitched them down with some bright embroidery threads. Once the black banner was added, I felt the layout was finally balanced.


I love this layout and even my husband said my paper pieced flamingo looked just like the baby on the float. ☺️

I hope you enjoyed this layout! I’ll be back this weekend to share another!

Kayla


Comments

Popular Posts